Want a handwriting solution for your child that finally fixes all any bad habits and boosts their confidence?
You need our:
Make it readable in 66 days
with Sheilagh Blyth MSc (Occupational Therapist)
A guided online course with personalised mentorship. Created for 11 to 14 year olds.
Does your heart sink when you see your child’s handwriting?
It’s time to help them turn the page on their struggles and embrace a new chapter. One filled with success and growth. Where the right amount of encouragement and reassurance is given for changes to happen.
Handwriting is a habit. Research says it takes 66 days to change a habit. Our ‘Make it Readable in 66 days’ handwriting course will give your child the skills to make those long-lasting changes that will stay with them for life.
It’s a comprehensive plan providing teaching, support and guidance. Backed up by the latest Occupational Therapy research, it’ll help cultivate lifelong skills. We use the best gamification strategies that’ll keep your child motivated.
Are you ready to witness the progress your child will make?
We think we've got everything covered to make life easier for you!
Daily lessons to embed better habits and practices.
Having monitored progress so no one is left behind.
Monthly live calls to answer questions and give visual demonstrations.
Very short daily course work so that it does not get in the way of school work, homework or home life.
100 days to complete 66 lessons because we know life can sometimes get in the way.
Gamified content to keep your child engaged and excited to keep going.
This is your invitation for your child to join us and for you to:
How are we going to do that?
*Easter eggs are messages and images in a software package that motivates users.
We have helped many parents like you.
"We are so thrilled at the already visible progress he is making."
His father couldn’t believe it when I showed him!
I think that a key step forward is he is now thinking about it as a solvable problem, not an insurmountable one and that the course gives him the space to think about his writing and see that he’s not alone.
(Jessie, Mum of Natty, age 12, said after Day 19)
This course is for those students who:
Meet five of our past students:
Hear what they have to say about doing our 66 day course. It is all their words and not ours!
Take a look in more detail
Discover the ‘Comprehensive Handwriting Improvement Plan’ that delivers real results in 66 days.
Module 1: Assessing and Setting Goals
Discover the key to unlocking your child’s handwriting potential:
- Find the perfect pen and pencil for an enhanced writing experience.
- Empower your child to take charge of their progress through self assessment and goal setting.
- Work with an Occupational Therapist to set personal handwriting goals for your child.
Module 2: Revisiting Basic Skills
Uncover the secrets to mastering the foundation of handwriting:
- Explore different styles to find the perfect fit.
- Dive deep into the three P’s: posture, paper, and position—for an ideal writing environment.
- Refine letter formation, numbers and capital letters.
- Be introduced to your handwriting mentor.
Module 3: Refining Letter Forms
Refine and elevate your child’s handwriting:
- Focus on letter joins to elevate handwriting to the next level.
- Watch their confidence grow as they write mathematical symbols with clarity.
Module 4: Exploring Handwriting Techniques
Enhance handwriting clarity with advanced techniques:
- Perfect word spacing and letter sizes with innovative approaches.
- Refine ascender letters, master capital letters, and numbers.
- Create a DIY sloping board for optimal writing.
- An opportunity to submit your child’s work to their handwriting mentor for feedback.
Module 5: Developing a Personal Style
Discover your unique handwriting style:
- Overcome challenges with narrow letters.
- Master descender letters.
- Explore slanting options for personal flair.
Module 6: Developing Writing Fluency
Improve fluency and confidence in writing:
- Master commonly used letters at the beginning of words for improved fluency.
- Explore frequently used words in the English language.
- Gain confidence in combining words and numbers seamlessly.
- Continue to make great progress by submitting their work for feedback.
Module 7: Enhancing Neatness and Presentation
Craft beautifully presented work and develop note-taking skills:
- Explore techniques for paper layouts and writing on plain paper.
- Empower your child with golden rules for abbreviations.
- Benefit from valuable feedback from your child’s handwriting mentor, guiding them towards their next steps in the journey of improvement.
Module 8: Speed Writing Skills
Boost writing speed while maintaining legibility:
- Understand the skills needed to write fast.
- See what happens to the writing when having to write from dictation and memory.
- Practice two different techniques to write faster.
- Receive ongoing guidance from your child’s handwriting mentor on developing speed writing skills.
Module 9: Overcoming Challenges and Refinement
Address specific challenges and witness continued improvements:
- Identify and conquer common mistakes in letter formation and joins.
- Refine techniques to witness transformation in handwriting.
- Continue to progress with feedback from your child’s mentor helping to make the changes they need for readable writing.
Module 10: Exam/study Skills and Handwriting
Solidify handwriting skills and reinforce essential writing abilities:
- Unlock exam success techniques and effective study skills.
- Discover how to maintain focus and reduce exam fears for optimal performance.
- Craft a personalised handwriting checklist for continuous improvement.
Module 11: Reinforcement and Practice
Guide your child towards mastery of practical writing skills with support from a mentor:
- Equip them with essential skills like completing application forms and writing letters.
- Strengthen grammar and punctuation skills.
- Continue to receive valuable feedback from your child’s handwriting mentor by submitting their work for review.
- Reflect on progress, celebrate achievements, and set the stage for future success.
- Book a free 15 minute progress review with an OT to discuss any next steps.
Module 12: Practice, Practice, Practice.
Special offer for Duke of Edinburgh participants:
- Reap the rewards of dedicated practice.
- Engage your child with stimulating visual perceptual activities.
- Enjoy one month’s access to the supportive Handwriting Practice Club.
The 'Make it Readable in 66 days' handwriting course has two options:
Option 1: Course for 1 student
- Comprehensive handwriting improvement plan comprising of 66 daily videos and worksheets.
- Personalised video feedback reviews of their work by their personal handwriting mentor.
- All course content is housed on a training platform designed to motivate teens with hidden Easter eggs and points awarded.
- Designed for 11 to 14 year olds
- Self paced.
- Flexibility to be completed how you choose.
- Access for 100 days.
Option 2: Course for 1 student doing their Duke of Edinburgh award
- Everything covered in the course + extra 34 days of content to meet Duke of Edinburgh 3 month minimum training requirement.
- Days 67 to 71 - Bonus content developing visual scanning skills.
- Content for the days 72 to 100 - one month access to the Keepy Uppy Club.
- Duke of Edinburgh assessors report completed under the life skills component.
"Two of his teachers (English & History) have commented on his improved handwriting"
“Today, my son told me that two of his teachers (English & History) have commented on his improved handwriting”, (Diane, Mum) Email sent to Sheilagh on Day 29 of the 66 day course.
"Loving the 66 day handwriting course!"
The bite-size sessions are perfect for my teenage son, who has always found it difficult to focus for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. He has actually engaged with this approach, which is amazing! So many practical and achievable tips. Thank you Sheilagh. (Jess, Mum of Oliver, age 13)
"My son had a bit of a light bulb moment yesterday."
Before he never realised that all the letters had to be the same height apart from the tall letters. After writing his work I could see him look at it proudly and smile. I love seeing his face when he is proud of something. (Julie, Mum of Charlie, age 12)
This happened after completing day 13’s activity.
And by the end of the 66 days, this was said by both Mum and him.
He is really happy with how much his handwriting has improved as he said “now I can read what I have written and so can the teacher!”
"My son has said he feels more confident in school about his writing."
After the 66 day challenge my son has said he feels more confident in school about his writing. His dad and I are delighted over the change in his attitude, his improved confidence and that he, and we, are now able to read his work’. (Sofia, Mum of Jacob)
"He wanted to stay up late completing worksheets!"
“Arthur enjoyed the first class so much – he then wanted to stay up late completing worksheets! It is so lovely to have this unique resource, and to have the wonderful safe space you provide for children feeling despondent about their writing! (Alice, Mum of Arthur).
Your Personal Handwriting Mentor: Meet Me, Sheilagh
Hello! I’m Sheilagh, your child’s personal handwriting mentor and guide.
As an occupational therapist with a deep passion for helping children improve their handwriting, I’m excited to support them throughout this course.
With 23 years of experience and a track record of success, I will work closely with your child to unlock their full handwriting potential. Everyone has a personal mentor and there is no need for any parent to feel they need to sit and do the work with their child. Together, we will set personal handwriting goals and embark on a transformative journey.
Feedback and Progress Tracking:
Monthly Zoom Group Call:
In addition to this 66 day course, we hold a monthly Zoom group call on the first Thursday of every month for 30 minutes. This live session is a valuable opportunity for parents and children to ask anything to an OT. You can ask questions. Clarify concepts. And gain more insights into improving handwriting skills.
15-Minute "What to Do Next" Consultation:
At the end of this 66 day course, I’ll provide a free 15-minute consultation. This personalised session allows us to reflect on their progress. Celebrate their accomplishments, and outline strategies to maintain and enhance their handwriting skills.
See you in September.
Best wishes, Sheilagh
Curious about whether this course suits your child’s requirements? Drop us a line here!
Frequently asked questions:
The timeframe for seeing improvements can vary depending on your child’s starting point. With consistent practice and guidance, you can expect to see noticeable improvements within a few weeks. The course provides step-by-step instructions. The targeted exercises will promote gradual and sustainable progress.
It is the personalised approach with the expertise of an occupational therapist. The course combines evidence-based strategies, tailored exercises, and ongoing feedback. It addresses specific challenges and nurtures your child’s unique handwriting style. The focus is not just on achieving legible handwriting. It also promotes confidence and enjoyment when learning.
Absolutely! This course addresses a wide range of handwriting challenges. These include letter formation, spacing, sizing, and overall legibility concerns. It provides targeted exercises and techniques to help overcome these concerns. We will provide personalised guidance to meet your child’s specific needs.
The recommended practice time may vary depending on your child’s age and needs. Generally, we say to dedicate around 10 to 15 minutes of focused practice each day. This is after they have watched a 5 minute training video. Consistency is the key and it will yield the best results. However, we understand that each child is unique. We will work with you and your child to find a practice schedule that fits their routine. Together we will maximise their progress.
Yes. This course caters to both left-handed and right-handed writers. The handwriting techniques and strategies provided are applicable to all hand preferences. We will provide guidance on proper hand positioning, pencil grip, and letter formation. We will ensure that your child feels comfortable and confident at all times.
We understand that every child has their unique learning style and we are here to support them. Our course does offer a self-paced learning approach. But, we also provide ample guidance and support to ensure your child’s success. We are here to assist your child whenever they need help or clarification. If they miss seven days, our training platform will flag this up to both you and us. Meaning we can address any difficulties early on. We are here to help your child thrive and enjoy improving their handwriting.
Yes, this course can help your child improve their handwriting speed. The course focuses on legibility, developing efficient and fluent writing skills. Through targeted exercises, your child will learn strategies to increase their writing speed. We will provide specific guidance and practice drills designed to enhance their speed. Our key aim is to help them maintain their accuracy and legibility when writing. Increasing handwriting speed is tricky to master. It is only achievable once the legibility improves. It relies on the development of their new skills and transferring them to muscle memory. That is what the course aims to achieve.
We understand that individual progress may vary. Our course is structured to prevent any student from feeling left behind. The content is delivered over 66 days but access is for 100 days. We encourage every student to travel at their own pace. It is not possible to race ahead as the content is drip-fed daily. Once released it is there available to do whenever the time is right. Our handwriting mentors are their to give special attention to every student. They are there to be that friendly support to keep your child on track and moving forward.
We provide comprehensive support to your child. In the first week we set individual handwriting goals based on your child’s needs. Throughout the course, our handwriting mentors check each student’s performance. When work is submitted they offer personalised video feedback and guidance. At the end of the course there is a chance to review and discuss their progress with Sheilagh, OT and founder. Additionally, our Zoom calls are there to answer any questions that pop up.
The course provides all the necessary resources and materials for your child. These include printable worksheets, instructional videos and guidance from an occupational therapist. All materials are accessible online, and you can easily download and print them as needed. We do provide a link to a printers where you can ask them to do the printing for you. We do not provide any pens but make recommendations for ones we like.
In accordance with Distance Selling Regulations, you have the right to cancel and obtain a full refund within 14 days from the date of purchase in circumstances where you have not had access to the course material. Refund requests should be made in writing to Support@HelpWithHandwriting.co.uk and a full refund will be provided within 14 working days.
In the event that the 66 day online content has been provided to you, or one or more training sessions have already taken place within the first 14 days following your purchase, you are still entitled to request a refund, but the value of the lesson(s) shall be deducted from the amount paid by you, along with any reasonable costs which have been borne by us in respect of the administrative costs of enrolling you on the course.
We’ve been featured in:
The Good Schools Guide
Penguin Random House UK
TES SEN Show
University of Southampton
Occupational Therapy Show
About Help with Handwriting:
We’re an occupational therapy company helping children aged 4 to 16 years improve their handwriting. We believe handwriting is a life skill that everyone can learn and typing is not always the best option. Our way is to make it fun, engaging and real. Let us connect and make this work for your child.